Saturday, October 11, 2014

Thinking about law? My court internship experience


There are times in life where we come across an opportunity that challenges our current life's outlook, career paths, friend choice and even our beliefs. Our reactions to these opportunities shape the rest of our lives. The paths that are chosen, or not chosen, by an individual opens or shuts doors to job possibilities. Internships begin to shift the focus of student’s mindset from the classroom to the work place. Transcending the work place causes the student to ask questions like, “can I see myself participating in this field of practice for the next five, ten, even forty years of my life” or, “how can I market myself to land a job?” More specific, the student goes through a mental cycle of reflection that allows them to examine and redefine themselves in their studies before they graduate. This internship cycle, when recognized, opens a powerful venue of growth with the student’s scholastic pursuits. The focus of this paper will be to reflect on experiences, so far, during my internship at the city of Provo justice court.  Further, I will expound on how this internship experience has allowed me to better understand my educational pursues by redefining and adjusting the goals that were established at the beginning of the internship.
To begin, ever since I was in kindergarten I have wanted to be a judge; this is important to know because the remainder of the paper will be explaining how even after fifteen years of chasing after this childhood goal, I have adjusted it in a matter of weeks. At the beginning of the semester I chose to participate in a internship at the justice court because my initial expectations for this experience was to get a letter of recommendation and obtain another bullet point to put on my resume to help separate me from the competitive sea of applicants striving to get into law school. I had only been in a courtroom once before this semester, due to running a red light and being a participant rather than an administrator at the courthouse.
As shallow as this goal of becoming a judge may have been, once I began the internship I engaged myself in learning all I could about the court system; I established four basic goals to base to enhance the experience. First, my primary goal was to see how the court system worked from start to finish. This was done through interview, working with and doing personal research with the police officers, clerks, attorneys, the public defender, prosecutors and the judge. I even, time to time, talked to the defendants to get their understanding of the law. My second goal was to increase my ability to interact with people effectively, as well as, to execute and deliver on tasks and projects that were assigned to me. Third, as I got a grasp on my duties and tasks, I would then apply my critical analysis skills that I have learned from the American Studies major to better understand certain keywords that naturally came to mind through a deep study of the courtroom. My last goal was to take a proactive approach of constantly challenging myself to understand why the courts are the way they are. What I came to find out is that each one of these goals helped to naturally change my mindset of what I wanted from my career because they helped me look at what I can best market myself in the job field.
What I have come to find out after seven weeks of my internship is that although I never once disliked or hated the court system, but there are other things that came into my life, that simply have become more appealing to me and my mind. This semester I started to get serious about my minor in business. I took my first business class, marketing, and was introduced to a whole other profession what caused a fire to burn inside of me. It was like a reawakening to my education. The combination of how my mind was focused on getting a job from doing my internship and the possibilities of jobs through business got me question what I wanted to do. Jeffery R. Holland, former President of Brigham Young University, shared a personal story about a vacation trip that him and his son, Matt, took many years ago. They were driving home on a maze of back trail roads; they came across a fork in the road, not knowing which road to take. The father took this as an ideal teaching opportunity to his son and suggested that a prayer should be said. They both had a feeling that they should go left and so they went. Ten minutes later they came across a dead end, Matt being confused asked his father why they went down this back road. The father responded that the sun was about to do down and this was the quickest way that he could have answered the two travelers to go down the wrong road to meet the dead end so that they could proceed confidently on the correct road. [i] As the sun setting of graduation approaches to students, there are times that we are given inspiration in the course of action we must take that leads us to a flat out dead end. In return, we can know confidently that we need to take the other direction in the road of life.
This being said, during the course of the semester so far I have had a great experience at the justice court that are universal skills for being in a work place. I got to see how the administrative individuals in the court have an unique perspective with their interactions with the other employees. There is a code of unwritten rules in the workplace that is learned only with hours spent in the work environment. Key skills of how to deliver and pay close attention to detail, even to be able to anticipate needs from employees and customers, if you can call defendants customers. But, like any job court houses, or the office place, is not a place for children; this is a serious practice with real punishment and the difference between doing and not doing my job correctly could result in people ending up in jail  
As I continue to complete the remainder of my time at the courthouse there is a fresh new mindset that I have in going forward. Things that I wont do include, underperforming because I do not want a profession in law, burn bridges of all the great people that I have met, start over in my education. Rather, I will use what I have learn to not only understand law, but will continue forward to develop skills in professionalism, networking, association with clients, ability to complete tasks and develop myself so that I can market myself to future employers.

           



[i] https://www.lds.org/prophets-and-apostles/what-are-prophets/bio/jeffrey-r-holland?lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews